Regular Duct Cleaning Maintenance Will Create a Healthier Home Environment
How important is duct cleaning? Did you know that there is often more air pollution inside your home than there is outside it? With the rise of allergies, most people are now aware that indoor air pollution is an issue of growing concern and increased visibility. That’s why duct cleaning is vital to maintaining a healthy home environment, especially for children.
Duct cleaning generally refers to the cleaning of various heating and cooling system components of forced air systems. These include the supply and return air ducts and registers, grilles and diffusers, heat exchangers, heating and cooling coils, condensate drain pans (drip pans), the fan motor and fan housing, and the air handling unit housing.
- Tobacco usage
- Household animals
- Dust build-up on furniture
- Pollen accumulation
What to Expect From an Air Duct Cleaning Service Provider
If you choose to have your ducts cleaned, ServiceMaster Advanced Restorations will:
- Open access ports or doors to allow the entire system to be cleaned and inspected.
- Use vacuum equipment that exhausts particles outside the home, or we may use High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) vacuuming equipment if the vacuum exhausts inside the home.
- Protect carpet and household furnishings during cleaning.
- Use well-controlled brushing of duct surfaces in conjunction with contact vacuum cleaning to dislodge dust and other particles.
- Use only soft-bristled brushes for fiberglass duct board and sheet metal ducts internally lined with fiberglass. Flex duct can also be cleaned using soft-bristled brushes or an air whip connected to an air compressor.
- Remove, clean, and reinstall all registers and vents.
- Take care to protect the duct work, including sealing and re-insulating any access holes the service provider may have made or used so they are airtight.
From the Experts (The Facts)
- “1 out of every 6 people who suffer from allergies, do so as a direct result of the fungi and bacteria in the air duct systems.” – BETTER HEALTH MAGAZINE
- “Most people spend 90% of their time indoors.” – AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION
- “Children are more likely than adults to be affected by polluted indoor air.” – DEPT. OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS
- “The average 6 room house collects 40 pounds of dust each year.” – DISCOVER MAGAZINE
- “Typical Fiberglass Furnace filters are less than 7% efficient.” – ASHRAE
Learn more about the importance of Dryer Vent Cleaning.